Sunday, April 23, 2017

What's Love Got to Do With It?

The incomparable Tina Turner was on the radio today and I immediately thought of my whole blog post on my drive. Then my favorite song of all time came on and when the Cards go on some sort of extended streak of playing well, you'll get treated to more 80s goodness with that one. Hopefully you're still reading. 

"It may seem to you that I'm acting confused
When you're close to me
If I tend to look dazed I've read it someplace
I've got cause to be
There's a name for it
There's a phrase that fits
But whatever the reason you do it for me"

I thought of Cardinals players and the coaching staff when I listened to this verse. On the base paths, the players look like they're trying to reenact a Three Stooges skit as opposed to actually following any sound base running rules. They are getting picked off at first and second base at what feels like an astronomical clip. Then there's the base stealing attempts. Who is telling them to run? I'm half convinced there's a cartoon character or comic trying to get some laughs standing in the dugout or at first or third, saying "Run!! Go! Do it!" and the players fall for it every time. There are times when it's not even close. We're watching, sometimes yelling, "Why?!" A last base running issue is running into outs (too aggressive) or not running fast enough (not aggressive enough). Who is running these drills? What drills are they running? Today during the broadcast, it was mentioned that our Quality Control Coach is a firm believer of George Kissell's teachings. I had to let that sink in for a minute. Is there another George Kissell? Surely, this cannot be the same George Kissell. Or if it is, he's read the intro only. Or Matheny replaced the cover of "The Cardinal Way" with the cover of "The Manifesto." Something is getting lost in translation.

The same goes for fundamentals in every other aspect of the play we're seeing on the field. It would be tough to see us get to a point where we don't even try to catch base stealers or try pick offs because the first and second basemen can't handle the throws. The rundown on Saturday night was almost an all hands on deck moment and that's not even legal, but it felt like the entire bench was going to jump in on the action. Cut off men apparently don't exist. And our pitchers have had some extra work this season based on how many times we hear "and he'll get the out at ..." instead of "it's a double play!"

Clearly, the players are dazed and the phrase that fits is "Matheny is your manager, so this is life." The players have to find a way to get around these problems and practice sound fundamental baseball. Sooner rather than later is preferable. It might be scary at first, but the new direction of sound fundamentals will definitely protect their jobs moving forward.

"I've been taking on a new direction
But I have to say
I've been thinking about my own protection
It scares me to feel this way"

"What's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a second hand emotion
What's love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken
What's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a sweet old fashioned notion
What's love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken"

The love I think of here is the love for the sweet old fashioned notion of baseball. Our players need to remember why they're playing...that is the love of this wonderful pastime we all love too...baseball.  When they remember the days when they played little league and were all heart and hustle, they'll try their hardest to play the game how it's supposed to be played. They'll remember how great it feels to make the plays and help lift each other up...how great it feels to win because of the hard work put in and the fun they had out there.

They'll never break my heart. My heart is very much here and with them. I only hope they find their heart and love for the game and play like they love every second of being out there, playing at their best.


No comments:

Post a Comment