Thursday, April 6, 2017

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice

I may be the only fan of this 80s classic, but I'm using it as a reference anyways.

https://youtu.be/ei-2xTsyL8w

The teeth jumping out, the disappearing acts, the zipper, the metal plate. I wish all of these magical abilities existed for Matheny, Mozeliak and Kolten.

For what feels like the 572nd time, Mo was on MLB Radio discussing Kolten. And by the sounds of my post up until now, I'm sure you can tell exactly how it went and how I feel.

His direct quote: "If he plays well, he'll play. If he doesn't, well, that's the business."

My immediate thought on this is simple. Enough already. The cows have come home, the fat lady is done singing, that ship has sailed (and sank), the dead horse has been beaten, everyone's blue in the face. I don't know how else to say it but I'm beyond exhausted with our front office and Kolten in the public eye. Stop talking. I've heard everything they've had to say ad nauseam and if they knew how to speak about anything else, I might actually listen to anything they have to say during the next month. For now, I'm ignoring all of them. They're all in a time out as far as I'm concerned. If they behaved like adults, I wouldn't say things like time out.

Honestly, they're all behaving unprofessionally at this point. I get it, Cards fans get it, and now, everyone gets it. Kolten needs to play well to play every day. Mo and Matheny want him to do that but aren't afraid to bench him. He wants to play every day but fears being benched after every bad day. They've all said their peace publicly. They all have blame in this. Promises were made in public that weren't kept. When taken away, it was public, not private. Frustration occurred and was aired publicly, choosing to react in kind.

Learn how to speak privately. Being in management, they have offices with doors that close. These offices are for these moments in "business." Call the player in, have a discussion, and move on. If communication issues, relationship issues, management issues, playing issues keep occurring, do something to change it. Permanently. I've been a patient fan. However, all of this is now hopping up and down on my very last nerve. If it is evident that the player-management relationship here will never improve to a point where it is fair for all, find a trade that works. Kolten can get a fair shake somewhere else. Matheny can revel in the fact that he doesn't have to deal with Kolten and all those emotions anymore. He can focus on the guys he wants to play, like Matt "hot hands" Adams, who's only the greatest left fielder ever, in case you didn't know. Today was grace defined out there. Exquisite.

Bottom line: Stop talking about the situation. See what Kolten can do. Play the guy. If he's truly inept, give someone else a shot. Kolten, in turn, should also stop talking. I suggest "no comment." Heck, plead the Fifth. No pre or postgame interviews is probably a wise choice with Kolten at this point in time. I don't care how they handle it, as long as they all stop talking about this topic publicly. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment